Wednesday, April 21, 2010

3 days

Can I deliver the Boston qualifying performance that I have dreamed of for more than 25 years? I hope so. I am praying so. I adopted a training slogan months ago: Qualified 2 Qualify. It means that I have done the work to qualify, and everything is in place. Now I must do it. I AM NERVOUS!

The next couple of days are all about rest, hydration, and nutrition. They are also about mental preparation. I want to go through all the scenarios, good and bad, and imagine what it will take to enjoy and/or overcome each one. The weather is the greatest threat right now, but I’ve run in worse than what is predicted.

Alan Napier’s mother, Nadine, gave me all of Alan’s running (and biking) clothes, along with a bunch of his books. I am dedicating the marathon to Alan’s memory, so I plan to wear one of his singlets in the race. Alan was very interested in this race.

The 2-3 days in Indy were nice. I learned a lot and had a very enjoyable time. Now it’s back to the work I know too well but love. Today is my last regular class meeting at Oakland City U., which is great. It has been challenging this semester. I am looking forward to the summer break.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the 2nd Commandment – no idols. Trying to figure how to talk about that in our culture and context.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allen
Interesting to me that if you look up "idol" it says an image used as an object of worship. yet you look up idolize and it just says to regard with excessive devotaion or admiration. If you take that those two definitions, you can idolize anything but only have as an idol something that you use as an object of worship. That might be the issue we have today is society. We idolize a lot of things yet have no idols. Trick ourselves into believing we are not breaking the commandment. I would think an idol would be anything that you regard with excessive devotion or admiration. This could be work, money, activities etc.
Hey, you are ready and are "qualified 2 qualify" good luck!
RR