Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Life in Huntsville

It was another good day in Huntsville. The weather changed and improved dramatically. It went from yesterday’s cold and damp to today’s nice and sunny mid-60s. It was really nice!

This morning I got my running workout done. I did something different today: Yasso 800s. Yassos are named after an experienced runner/writer. He has a theory that says you can predict your marathon time based on your time for 800 meter repeats. For example, I need to run the marathon in 3 hours and 35 minutes (or better) to qualify for Boston. This means that I need to run Yassos 800s in 3 minutes and 35 seconds.

It seems like magic or voodoo running, but he claims that many, many marathoners have tried it. He says it correlates nearly every time. Of course there are detractors and disputers, but I decided to do 10 Yasso 800s today. I warmed up for a couple of miles and then got started. After each one you jog one lap.

I was pleased to average slightly better than 3 minutes and 30 seconds for each one. I hit 3.30 right on the mark 5 times; the others were slightly faster. In theory this means I should be able to run the marathon in 3 hours and 30 minutes, but I don’t plan to go out that fast. It was a pretty hard workout. With the cool down I ended up with 10 total miles.

Rebecca and I went to see Avatar in 3D. We had a really nice time. We both enjoyed the movie. There certainly is a lot to think about and unpack regarding the movie. Lots of theological themes to explore... A lot of political statements as well.

After the movie I got the bike out. I bought a cheap bike computer yesterday, so I got it installed. I took off and headed south. I ended up riding about 11 miles. It was very nice. Pleasant. Tomorrow I plan to ride to the Tennessee River via a green way. It will be about a 20 mile ride, I think. I plan to run 6 miles before I ride.

That’s enough for now...

No comments: