Thursday, November 05, 2009

Thursday Morning

Thursday is sermon prep today; often a day mixed with frustration and some satisfaction. Not sure how this one will turn out. My class last night gave me a lot to think about as far as children and parents are concerned.

I have a meeting at Hoosier Uplands this morning. I went to it yesterday. I am usually early but 24 hours early was rediculous; not sure what went wrong there. Oh well. I am on a hospice advisory board. I helped start the program many years ago, so it's pretty neat to go back and see how it has grown. It is going very well.

The marathon is looming large. I have the classic devil-vs-angel-on-the-shoulder thing going on. One voice says, "no way!" and the other one says, "you can do it." I know I can run a marathon. I've run more than 20 of them. The issue is can I qualify for the Boston Marathon? I have to run a 3.35. The conditions are going to be good; maybe slightly warm. I have trained well. Now basically it comes down to mental toughness and no on-course injury or problem.

Back to the child thing... I was really struck last night by the part that says that children are to honor their parents. How do they learn this? Does it come naturally? It really comes back the parents doesn't it? Honoring parents seems to be the first, most basic, most fundamental response to God. We know our parents before we know God, right? Lots of stuff to think about with that. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

Jason Petty said...

We're discussing this in my high school/college small group that I facilitate. It's becoming apparent that children have a natural tendancy at a young age to trust/rely on/love their parents, although obedience is something that has to be learned through experience. The parents are usually the ones who screw up the innocent and loving relationship God intended.

I think as Christians we can have a tendancy to be painfully UNaware of how much the culture around us can change us into something less than God's desire for us, especially when that "something" isn't obviously evil.