Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Monday Night

We had another good men's Bible study last night. It's not really a study. It's more of a time of reflection and sharing. It's a little hard to explain, but it is good.

We take a different approach in these gatherings. We use a form of lectio divina (divine reading) where we read the selected verse or verses a few times and surround the reading with periods of silence. We are listening for God as we see what's on our minds.

Last night our focus was Hebrews 11:1-6, which is just a little long for this type of practice but it still worked well. The thing that really struck all of us was how this passage ends.

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,

"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."

So we say with confidence,

"The Lord is my helper;
I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?"

If we start with this foundation--of knowing that God is for us and with us--then we are ready to live lives of contentment that we all deeply desire. Peace and Joy live there.

1 comment:

Jason Petty said...

Thank you for bringing that Scripture to light. I needed to hear/read that as I pray for God's direction.