Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Is Gambling a Sin?

That's the question asked by this USA Today article.

What do you think? Is it wrong to play the lottery? How 'bout going down to the boat(s)?

I grew up hearing that gambling was wrong, but I never saw a "book, chapter, and verse" that said so. It always seemed like a fairly strained argument; that's what I thought, even as kid.

I don't gamble in any form; no desire, no need to. I think the greatest argument against is an unhealthy desire for money, but people do stupid things in the stock market for the same reason. And isn't investing money in the stock market a pretty big gamble?

Part of the problem with gambling is the culture associated with it and all the problems that it causes. In this way it seems a lot like alcohol, doesn't it?

I don't gamble and wish others didn't, but I don't feel compelled to preach against. I think forming people into the image of Christ clears up lots of things. Gambling is probably one of those. Jesus would suggest that instead of using money to gamble you should give it to someone who needs it. Right?

What do you think?

1 comment:

Jason Petty said...

"I think forming people into the image of Christ clears up lots of things."

Well said. That's our primary spiritual goal as Christian disciples and evangelists, for ourselves and others.