Sunday, September 27, 2009

Interesting Saturday

Yesterday was a good day!

The Persimmon Festival parade day has often been one of my favorite days of the year. It was that way yesterday. It started with the 5K run. I had a good time (21.30) and actually won my age division. Surprising! Oh well, I'll take it. Several of my running friends participated, so we were able to run together afterwards.

After the run I came home and cleaned up, and then we went to Paula's for lunch. There were family and friends there. Good food. Fun.

Then it was time to head over to the Parade staging area. The ministers of our town were selected to be the Grand Marshall of the parade. I know, I know! A little strange, but a nice honor. It was a little awkward being on the float; a lot of people did not know how to respond to us. Then there was the funny/very humbling aspect of the ride: getting stuck 3 times!

The little John Deere mower did not have enough power to pull all of us over the railroad tracks, so we had to get off and push! Might as well laugh! Then we got up to the heart of parade, right in front of the big stage and important people. Our little driver cut way too short and got the wagon into some kind of bind. Off the wagon again! Push. Shove. Pull. On we go. Then at the next corner he turns too short again. Off the wagon. Push. Shove. Pull. On we go.

I was really glad when it was over!

Last night we had a nice dinner at home with Luke and Caroline. I grilled some chicken, and Kedra made all kinds of yummy things to go with it.

It was a great day - one of my favorite days of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saturday was a good day for Bill and I too. For the first time I got the courage to set up a tent at the Homecoming in Jasonville, IN with my book. Though I only sold one, I was very encouraged by those who stopped and listened to the story behind it and took free poems I handed out. Several children took them and two nice ladies in wheelchairs. A person I graduated with walked by and I ran him down, (he didn't see me) and he stayed in our booth for a long time and visited. He pointed out some people walking by that I did not recognize and had not seen since school and was able to reconnect with some of them. It was a beautiful sunny day and several family members dropped by (Bill's and mine). Across from us we could hear the chants of the Boy Scouts "come get your taco in a bag" and the elephant ear stand was also in front of us. Next to us was a nice couple, he is a minister in a small church there. They had moved there from California several years ago when the morality began a steep decline and they wanted to raise their children in the midwest. They have not regretted the move. They sold pork rinds and all their children and grandchildren helped out. The little girls liked my poems and I encouraged them to write their thoughts on paper and share them with others. The grandmother keeps a journal and has given thought to getting it published for the family with alot of their history and I encouraged her to do so. There was a group of folks in front of us in a circle reconnecting from high school days, laughing and visiting and hugging. It was neat to watch everyone walk by with their various expressions, from laughing kids to those in clear pain from walking to those with something on their minds and very intense. Friends from the Perennial Exchange stopped by for a visit and the parade began. We had an Elvis sighting (Bruce Borders lives there AKA/Elvis)and the usual cheerleaders, church groups, floats, bands, antique tractors and cars and the horses at the end. Joyful sights and sounds from a beautiful sunny day. Watching remnants of families, friends and classmates come together into the beautiful quilt of a small town. I felt blessed. Sherron Fields