Wednesday, February 06, 2008

“You’ve Been Quiet”

Yeah, I know. It’s been by design.

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks trying to break old routines and habits, which I think is part of what a sabbatical is supposed to do. It’s been good. I haven’t been sitting around doing nothing, however. I have been doing different things.

One of my students emailed me and asked if I have been thinking deep thoughts, etc. The answer is "No, not really." I think I think too much sometimes, so I’ve quit thinking. Just kidding! Actually I have concentrated on being quiet and living simply in the presence of the Lord. It has been good, peaceful, and joyful. I think the deep thoughts and creativity come later. We’ll see.

I leave Friday for Russia, Greece, and Turkey. I told a friend that I have a mixture of dread and excitement regarding this trip. I dread being away from my family and the comfort of home, but the excitement of seeing and being in places so rich is history, biblical and beyond, is enough to make me get on the plane.

I have been a little surprised about how much work is involved in getting ready to go on this trip. There are lots of things to figure out, and of course I want to read about where I am going. I’ve had to let some of the reading go, however. There is just too much information to process.

I hope to be able to post blogs about everyday I am gone. This will be dictated somewhat by internet availability. I have done some research, and I think I am ok everywhere. I MAY try posting some video this time, but I believe Turkey has banned YouTube, so I will probably be restricted (and very careful) there.

I would greatly appreciate your prayers for the safety and security of my family and for me during this time of separation.

Check back in soon!