Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday in Istanbul - Day of Worship

Today was my last day in Istanbul for about a week. I will be back here for the final 2-3 days of my trip. Today was beautiful, just like yesterday; maybe slightly warmer.

After a time of prayer and study I made my way onto the streets for a nice walk. I went down to the wharf that is clearly visible from my hotel roof. There I found a fresh fish market. Very interesting. From there I headed toward the Blue Mosque.

Friday is a special day of worship for Muslims. In addition to praying 5 times, like each day, the Inman (leader) delivers 2 sermons at the Noon gathering. Faithful Muslims make their way to mosques for this special time each Friday. I purposely positioned myself near the Blue Mosque today to witness the gathering, even though it was from a distance.

As I left the Blue Mosque and continued my walk around the streets of Istanbul, I came across several mosques that were still “in session.” I wonder if Muslims choose their mosque based on the Inman, the length of his sermons, and if they can beat the other mosques to restaurants? Ha ha. Actually I did ask my guide if the popularity of the Inman impacted attendance. He said, “It can.”

If you want a lot of information about Muslim Friday worship, you can Click Here.

Well, I am going to close down here and start packing. I leave fairly early in the morning to fly to Izmir, which is ancient Smyrna, one of the 7 churches of Revelation. I am not sure about my ability to communicate for the next few days. I am hoping I will have internet access but not sure. Stay tuned.

Here are some photos from today. Remember, you can move your curser around and find a hyperlink to click on. This will open a new window which will allow you to play a slide show.

Please keep praying for my family and me. I love all of you.