Thursday, February 21, 2008

Another Day in Istanbul

Today was a beautiful day in Istanbul! It was about 55 and sunny.

After breakfast I went up to the roof of the hotel and spent a couple of hours of studying for my trip to the sites of the 7 Churches of Asia Minor. I begin that portion of my journey on Saturday.

After some time of study and prayer I made my way on to the streets of Istanbul. No agenda. I walked around for about 3 hours I think. I went down to the water and watched all the activity there. It’s fascinating to watch people and wonder what their story is.

Istanbul is a unique place, especially in the sense that the city lies in two continents. [Here are some interesting facts about Istanbul and Turkey.] I have not been to the Asian side yet, but everything else I do in the country will be in Asia.

Although Turkey is a secular state, the religious leaders of Muslims are trained and paid by the Turkish government. This is what my guide told me yesterday. It is a good way to keep control of the right balance between the secular and the sacred - I think that is the thinking.

One issue here presently is the controversy of allowing female university students to wear Muslim head scarfs. The secularists are concerned by lifting the ban that the country will become “too Muslim” in a sense or at least perceived that way, if I understand it right. Turkey is trying very hard to get into the European Union. Many feel that this issue is going to be a hindrance.

I love all of you and look forward to being back among you.

A few more pictures: