Friday, January 04, 2008

Reliving the Past

It’s been a good day, sometimes quite emotional. It began with a long run around the bays. This brought back a lot of memories; it is where I used to run with Lester Farrell, the person who talked Kedra and me into coming to New Zealand. He had a profound impact on our lives. I have talked about him some in my Sunday school class. The run this morning brought back many memories of him and others.

About midday we got in our mini bus (diesel; seats about 12!) and left the hotel and headed for the North Shore; this is where we lived while in New Zealand. It has changed so much since we left that it was hardly recognizable. First order of business was to find some fish and chips.

Check!

Off to Milford Beach to eat them. We had a wonderful meal! This beach is where we used to take baby Lester. I also use to run along it on a regular basis as well. It is less than 10 minutes from where we used to live.

We found our old house and the place where we met as a new church. So many memories: some tough, some pleasant. We have included a few pictures in the slide show, along with the shops that Kedra used to visit on a regular basis. This is where Lester spent the first several months of his life.

After wandering around the old neighborhood we wandered our way up to Jean Wheldale’s house. She lives in a beautiful sea-view cottage, near the beach. I left Kedra and the kids there and made my way to see an old friend, Grant Trevarthan.

I did not announce my visit, so he was quite stunned to somewhere that he had not seen for nearly 20 years. I fought tears during most of my time with him. Grant is a wonderful person. I have thought of him so many times over the last 20 years. We had a wonderful visit, and I wept as I prayed with him before leaving.

I went back to Jean’s for the evening meal (they call it “tea” instead of dinner or supper), which was simple and scrumptious. It felt so good being there. After some wonderful Pavlova, which is a wonderful New Zealand dessert, we made our way back to the hotel. The sun has now set, and I am about ready to get my beauty sleep. From the looks of my pictures below I need it.

You don’t need to email me about this.

Oh, thanks to those of you have emailed words of kindness and encouragement!