Thursday, January 03, 2008

New Zealand

We are now in Aotearoa (Land of the Long White Cloud), the Maori name for New Zealand. We lived here for about 5 years (1985-1989). It feels strange being back. Rebecca asked me if it was a good or bad strange. I said that I wasn’t sure; just strange. After walking around a little this evening in 80 degree sunshine I am pretty sure it is a good strange. [Sorry ‘bout that - I’ve been following.]

As we flew from Australia to New Zealand, which was about a 3 hour flight, I was thinking about our time in Australia. It really was whirlwind tour of places I have been in the past. It was a wonderful time of resurrecting good memories and making new ones for the future. These new ones are multiplied by 6.

I wondered what it would be like to live there now and minister. I have changed a lot and have more experience and knowledge. Would God use me in a better way? I’m not sure; probably a different way. What I am sure of is that I don’t have the desire to engage that culture presently. I’m too busy trying to figure out ours. The more I observe the Australian culture (and ours too) the more convinced I am that we must listen to a voice outside ourselves. It is not within ourselves to direct ourselves. Seems like I’ve heard that somewhere else.

We arrived in Auckland mid-afternoon today. Auckland is 3 hours ahead of Brisbane. We are currently 18 hours ahead of you. It is 8.15 Thursday evening here, and it is 2.15 Thursday morning where you are. What’s neat is later on today (for you), say about 1 p.m., you can look at the sun and know that we will see the same sun at 7 on our Friday morning. Boggles my mind, really. I hope to be on a good long run about that time, covering old territory. I’ll be a little slower but I am still running...

We were met at the airport by Jean Wheldale, her daughter Lynette, and Lynette’s husband, Darrel and their three kids. It was nice to see them. We are going to visit with them the next couple of days. Jean lives on the beach evidently, so we’ll go enjoy that. Darrell wants to take us bike riding on some trails Saturday and then do a down-under “barby” (cookout) for us afterwards. Sounds good.

We are staying downtown Auckland, right on Queen Street, which the main street of the city. We are 21 floors up in a very nice place (you can see some of the views we have in the slide show below). There is a lot of hustle and bustle and people from all over the world are present. I ate at a little Turkish fast food place this evening. It was good!

Everyone is doing well. The first week of this adventure has been pretty quick-paced. We now are going to slow the pace and enjoy the beauty of New Zealand. There is very little on the agenda for the next 6 days. I’ll keep you posted on what develops and what we do.

I am thankful to the Lilly Foundation, to You, and to God for this wonderful experience. I am feeling new life and enthusiasm already.

Blessings to all.