Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tuesday a.m.

Energy Lab Fun
Good morning! The radar suggests it is snowing or sleeting out there? It is moving very quickly, so hopefully it will not create any problems on the roads this morning. Yesterday's sun was a bit of a surprise and helped with the melting process. Today doesn't look as helpful for that.

Yesterday was a really good, above average, perhaps. It was one of those days where my mind was clear and I got a lot accomplished. I had some good meetings and talked to some great people. I believe I'm ready to finish the year strongly and to take on the beginning of 2014. I'm excited about some of the projects I/we have in the works.

Yesterday was a really good day on the endurance front as well. I got a nice run done early in the day. The only problem was a few slick spots, but I managed to stay upright. Mr. Hammy very quietly reminded me of his presence, but he was content not to disrupt anything. I wish I could get Tim G's hammy to talk to mine. His is being pretty mean right now. Hang in there, Tim!

After a good long day and a good supper, it was time to burn some of the that energy in the Energy Lab. It was a pretty busy place last night, which is exactly what I need when I am on the bike trainer. The mostly useless banter sure helps pass the time. I was on for an hour and am now above 2900 miles for the year.

After the spin I headed out to the pool for the 8 p.m. swim. I cranked out a 1000 yards, which was good after missing all of last week, due to either snow or travel. It would have been easier to stay at home last night and watch TV. As I was leaving last night, I told Kedra what the guy who started Ironman Florida said before he fired the gun.

Everyone was standing on the beach waiting for 8 a.m. to arrive, nervously watching the big waves crashing in. As the starter/announcer was filling the time, he said something like, "All those lonely laps in the pool will now pay off." That stuck with me. Ironman training, like most of life, is about being faithful day to day in the small things, anticipating something in the future. Daily discipline rooted in a long term goal seems to me to be the key.

Have a good one!

No comments: