Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday a.m.

Captains' meeting

Ready to play

Hurt his knee early - I thought he was done

Seniors after the game


Great group of boys


Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend. Mine was pretty good. I rode 60 miles and ran none, but I think I'm about ready to hit the streets again. Cycling was a little on the cool and windy side, until yesterday, when it was really nice.

I have a very unusual week. This morning I am going to Lipscomb to participate in a preaching conference. I will come home Wednesday afternoon. Thursday morning I am leaving for Panama City, FL with 5 other guys. We are going to work Ironman Florida. Our plan is to volunteer this year and to do it next year. Volunteers get the first opportunity to sign up. Believe it or not, it fills up and is hard to get into.

Friday night was one of the more emotional nights I've had in a long time. It was Ben's last football game. He's been playing since he was a little boy. He was not 100% going in, due to an ankle injury from the week before. My heart sank when, early in the game, he got up limping and motioned he needed to come out.

I could tell he was in a lot of pain. They sat him down and worked on him and then took him to the locker room. I was sure he was finished for the night. Much to my surprise he came back from the locker room dressed and ready to play. He went back in and played really well on defense.

He also played some offense and had a decent time running the ball. The thrill of the evening for me was when he ran 10 yards for a touchdown. Then he ran the 2 point conversion in. What a way to go out!  We lost again, but it was ok. The emotions ran deep as Ben and his buddies gathered for the last time in the middle of the field. He loves the game and loves his friends.

OK, I'm getting all emotional again, so I will stop there and get busy. I have considerable organizational challenges this week. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: