Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Insult to Injury


Over the weekend, Matt Schaub, the quarterback for the Houston Texans, went down in the third quarter of the game with an ankle injury. To add insult to his injury, some of the fans in the stadium cheered! They were happy he was hurt.

Who cheers for a man who is injured? In Houston it was people frustrated and angry with him, disappointed because of unmet expectations regarding his performance and that of the team.

Has anyone ever "cheered" for your misfortune/pain, adding insult to an injury? Yeah, me too, but I also know this. I have celebrated the pain of others, and I’m guessing you have as well. Whether adding insult to another’s injury or receiving it from another, it’s probably for the same reasons the fans in Houston cheered. Disappointment. Anger. Unmet expectations. Lots of other stuff.

Sometimes we like to see others suffer, just a little at least. We need to repent, realizing our Lord does not add insult to our injuries, even though, I’m sure, we disappoint him a lot. What does he do? He invites us to bring our injuries and insults, and the burdens they bring, to him.

Matthew 11:28,29 — "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

I want to continue to grow, becoming more like that, more like him.

No comments: