Thursday, May 23, 2013

Foot washing


John 13 is what I’m thinking about this week. It’s where Jesus assumes the role of the lowest servant, washing the feet of his closest followers. They are too proud to take on the role.

Peter, probably embarrassed, protests the move. Jesus challenges him.

"Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."

Could it be the key to our service is allowing Jesus to serve us, surrendering and submitting to him every area of our life?

Peter does not want Jesus to wash his feet, and I think sometimes we are the same.

Jesus desperately wants to wash your feet, and you say, "Lord, you’re not going to wash my feet; I can take care of it."

We carry burdens around like suitcases full of bricks, and Jesus says, "Let me take those from you." We say, "No, I can carry it; I’m strong. I can take care of it."

We carry worry, stress and struggles around, and Jesus says, "If you are weary and are burdened, come to me; I’ll take that from you." We say, "No, I can carry it; I’m strong. I can take care of it. I’ll wash my own feet."

We carry sin around, and we let it control our lives. Jesus says, "I’ve paid for those sins, and I can take them from you." And we say, "No, I’ll just try a little harder to be a little better, and then maybe they’ll go away on their own. I can wash my own feet."

"Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."

No comments: