Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Wednesday

Well, there you are again. Good morning! Another day of life presents another opportunity to do stuff. What are we going to do today? Occasionally it dawns on me that I am 54 years old. I remember, back in my 20s, that 50 seemed pretty old. It sure doesn't seem that way any more. Last night on the run, I mentioned something that happened in 1976, and one of younger group members commented, "That was a year after I was born." Another one said, "I was born a couple of years later." I guess I should focus on the fact that I am able to run with guys this age? Who are we kidding? They could run away if they wanted.

Still running and participating in athletic events at this advanced age certainly increases the chances of winning an age-group award. There aren't that many guys still doing this sort of stuff. Oh well, not sure where all that came from. I am just thankful to be alive and able to do the stuff I do. I enjoy it a lot, and, as I mentioned yesterday, it helps me manage the other aspects of life better.

This week my focus is on discipline. I am going to use Proverbs 12:1 as a spring board to talk about the subject.

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

Proverbs speaks a lot about discipline, as does the rest of the Bible. It's a broad subject, apparently near to the heart of God. It's hard for me not to think of it through the lens of endurance athletics. Discipline involves teaching, instruction, correction, and self-control, and probably more.

One of the more interesting links in Scripture is between discipline, suffering, and God's involvement. On Sunday, I will end up in Hebrews 12, where the writer makes the link, essentially saying that suffering is discipline from God, given (allowed?) as an opportunity to make us better. There are some really dangerous thoughts here. Be careful. I am not ready to attribute all bad stuff that happens as God's will.

I don't know how all that works. I do know that in Job, Satan asks permission to test Job. God gives it. I know what Jesus says in Luke 22 about Satan asking permission to rock Peter's world. Jesus says, "I've prayed for you - that your faith won't fail." Scary stuff? Yes. But, it seems to me, that God only grants permission when He is confident that we will emerge on the other side as stronger followers. We don't always see it that way. So we complain. Maybe we shouldn't? Read Hebrews 12.

Wow, where did all that come from?

OK, I have a busy day today. I'd have to kill you, so just trust that I will be busy doing (mostly) good things all day long. Thanks for coming by.

No comments: