Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Tuesday a.m.


Good morning! And how are you today? Looks like another warm day ahead. Looks like we better enjoy it,  because the end of the week forecast doesn't look so hot, it doesn't even look warm.

This is one of those weeks/periods where my creativity seems to have disappeared and with it my desire to write anything about anything, so lower your usual lofty expectations about my daily writing. What's that? You never have had lofty expectations? OK, well then, lower the low expectations.

I've read a few books about creativity over the years, and even when it disappears, the experts say to keep writing, to keep moving. I thought about discipline all last week and then preached about it. Keeping doing things that you know you need to do, even when you don't feel like it, is a key part of discipline.

Who knows why but my preaching text for this week is Psalm 88, one of the darkest Psalms. It was written by a guy named Heman. Poor old Heman. He was talented and blessed in so many ways, yet he struggled and felt abandoned by God. He doesn't correct that thought, as many of the Psalms do at the end. Many of them complain, but before it's over, they come back to praising God. Not Heman.

What are we to make of that? Well, I'll tell you on Sunday. I sure hope Creativity shows up before then. The key to understanding Psalm 88 may be to note that it's in the collection of Psalms. I have a fairly simple belief that God somehow has in the Bible what he wants in there. The formation of the Bible was a messy, messy process, but I believe God somehow orchestrated it.

Yesterday was a fairly busy, productive day. I went into it tired and brain dead, but somehow got a lot done. I started with a run before the sun came up and got out of the pool after the sun went down. A day of endurance framed with endurance athletic events. It worked. Discipline, I suppose.

Today I start off with a small writing project, followed by a meeting, followed by a small window of study, followed by some time at the ReGen Store, followed by a lunch, followed by some time at our food pantry, followed by driving a bus to a track meet, followed by a run while the bus is parked, followed by a trip home, followed by a late meal, followed by bed. Life in the big city...

Thanks for coming by.

No comments: