Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wednesday a.m.

Good morning! Looks like another cold and windy March day is ahead of us. This March is so different from last year's.  I do believe that we will really appreciate the nice weather that will eventually arrive. Even a 60 degree day is going to feel really, really good. Friday of this week is looking pretty good, so I am working toward having everything taken care of so I can ride outside in the afternoon. I hope to run and then ride on Saturday also.
 
Yesterday was another productive day, which are my favorite kind of days. Of course there are different ways of measuring productivity. I had three good, meaningful meetings. All three were different, but all three produced some good results. I'd have to kill you if I told you what they were about. Actually that's not true, but it sounded good.
 
Last night was Tempo Tuesday, and it was windy. During the first mile, I was cruising along pretty well until I turned west, down Industrial Drive. The wind almost stood me up. I felt like I stopped, but I guess I didn't. I went through the first mile at 6:50. The second mile goes in all 4 directions, so the wind was in my face, at my back, and at my sides. I was a little surprised that I hit the second mile in 6:50 also.
 
The third mile begins going uphill and then turns west. Last night the strong wind met me there again, but I pushed through it. Then I got a nice little downhill to White River Lodge. I pushed a little on that segment. Now for the finish - up Industrial Drive, with a significant tailwind. I tried to sustain a strong effort. It's a tough finish, so I was pleasantly surprised to see 6:43 for the final mile. So here is scorecard:
 
Mile 1 6:50
Mile 2 6:50
Mile 3 6:43
Total 20:43
Ave. pace: 6:54
OK, I'm a theologian not a mathmetician. John H points out that the ave is really 6:47, which makes me feel better about it all. Some corrections are pleasant. 
I'll take it. I hope I can keep lowering my time a few seconds each week. I've got a ways to go, if I am going to break 20 minutes in a 5K. I think with some specific training I can do it.
 
OK today is going to be long! Lots to do and all that. Thanks for coming by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That would be a 6:47 average. Dont cheat yourself. :)

John T.