Sunday, February 03, 2013

Made it to Honduras - barely

Good Sunday morning! I am in Honduras and very glad to be here. I will spare you all the details, but yesterday's trip was the most challenging one, by far, in all my trips here.

We woke up, of course, to snow. I was supposed to meet Scott G in Mitchell at 4:30. That part worked out fine, but the trip to Louisville was slow, due to the roads covered with snow. We made it OK, a little later than I would prefer but no problem. Check in and security check were easy and smooth.

We boarded a little late, and the snow was coming down. I was very aware of the 65 minutes we had in Miami to connect. Too many minutes of delay in Louisville would threaten our connection. Here come the delays. The baggage scanner is not working, and we must wait on the de-icing truck. So we wait and wait.

The bags got loaded, but we were down to about 30 minutes connecting window, but the pilot said she could make up the time. Next the de-icer truck showed up, but I could tell by watching it that something was wrong. They left. The pilot said the truck broke, so we would have to wait for another one.

Miami connection? Not going to happen.

We ended up sitting in Louisville for 3 hours before we took off! We arrived in Miami and started talking to American Airlines. There was not a flight until tomorrow (Sunday). I knew, thanks to communication with people at home, that there was a flight on TACA airlines and told them (AA) so. "We can't do that." I kindly suggested that they could. After an hour of Scott and I standing around quietly asserting ourselves, we were allowed to be on the TACA flight.

Now the adventure begins! What about our bags? We we directed to another place. We went there. Then we were told to go through security. We waited in line 15 minutes to be told that we were not documented correctly. Back to TACA ticketing. There we found a 1 - 1.5 hour line! No way we would make it. Scott and I pondered our plight.

I saw a TACA rep and said we just need a board pass and no bags to check. She sent us to the first class line, where there was no line. We got our boarding passes. Next the long line at security awaited us. We were running out time. I accidentally cut line, big time, and Scott didn't tell me. Oops.

We grabbed some food. We were hungry, since we had not eaten all day. We were the last ones to board the TACA flight and were the only gringos on it. It was a great flight. The service was excellent and we made it into Tegucigalpa early.

The next concern? Our bags, would our bags make it? We waited and waited. Then the conveyor belt went off. No bags. Not surprised. I asked a worker, "no mas?" No more? He looked like there might be something else. I peeked through the little doorway and saw my bags! I told him, and he told me to wait.

I got my bags, and I was excited. My excitement diminished when it was revealed that Scott's bags could not be found. Hopefully today.

Luis picked us up and took us to Ojojona.  There we met Steve and Dan who flew out of Indy without problem. Except! Except Steve's bags did not arrive, so the Gilstrap boys don't have their stuff. Hopefully it will come today.

Today we are going out to Guajire to begin a little work and then worship with the church there are 3 p.m. I am excited to go out there! I hope to get a little run in this morning before breakfast. It is about 60 this morning, heading toward 80. It gets daylight at 6, which is about now. We are on Central Time.

Thanks for stopping by! Pray for us.

No comments: