Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tuesday a.m.

Deer, deer, deer...
Good morning! Yesterday afternoon I went to Bedford. As I made my way toward the river, and then across it, I came up on this little pop-up camper. On top of it I could see something. I thought it might be bikes or some other kind of gear that would not fit inside the SUV towing the trailer. As I got closer, I saw that it was not bikes. Nope. It was 3 slain deer, gutted, and now proudly strapped to the top of the camper.

The above brings to mind one of my favorite redneck scenes, and of course it comes out of Alabama, Kedra's home state. She's from Huntsville, which I've always described as a "pocket of civilization" in an interesting and beautiful state. Huntsville really is interesting. There you will find some of most intelligent people in the world. I'm not kidding. NASA is there, along with a lot of military brains.

Anyway. . . Huntsville's sophistication quickly gets balanced out by some of the locals, and this finally brings me to the scene I started to describe many sentences ago. I was driving on Memorial Parkway one day, which is the major road in Huntsville. I looked up and saw an unusually shaped car approaching. As it got closer I could tell what it was. It was VW Beetle with a rather large male deer proudly strapped over the top. The driver could look right at, and then past, the impressive rack to navigate down the highway. My guess is he was going to leave it on there for a while. Probably had to go to Wal-mart.

Wow, OK, now that was a different start to a blog post. Where do I go now? This week for me is mostly about the Give Thanks 4. I got a lot done with it yesterday, and there is still a lot to do. But I really enjoy doing it.

Also today, I'll have some of my usual stuff and then I get to go watch Ben's induction to the honor society. I'm really proud of him. Ben has been a late-bloomer academically speaking. He's lacked confidence, but now he's really working hard and it's showing. He's really maturing in lots of ways.

This evening I am driving a basketball bus to Springs Valley. I went to the ball game last night. The boys and girls JV teams played in Mitchell. Tonight the varsity squads play each other in Valley. We have a bunch of church kids of both JV teams. It was fun to watch them.

I got to run with my old buddy Tim S. yesterday, which was fun. He got me through 5 miles, and then I tacked a couple more on after that. Today I will strive for another five. OK, here we go!

No comments: