Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday a.m.

This cartoon brought to you by yesterday's brief burst of snow.
Good morning again! Did you see the snow yesterday? It was just for a short time, but it sure was beautiful, at least to me and other snow lovers. The snow stopped and then the sun came out. It was a nice way to end the day.

Yesterday was a day full of activity. Basically the same stuff that I live and I do most days. I go to the ReGeneration Store just about everyday to check in and see what's going on. Penny always asks, "What you are up to today?" She knows I will answer in the same way every time, "Oh, just out doing what I do." We always laugh at the exchange. I like to think about my life and ministry, in some ways, being based on this interesting statement in Acts 10, used to describe Jesus.

He went about doing good.

Everyone is different, and there is no monolithic way of serving God. It does always involve, however, serving people. I had several interesting connections in that regard yesterday. Stories of pain and struggle were placed in front of me needing a response. I thankful that I don't have to do this alone, and I am thankful that I can be a part. A homeless guy, who has mental problems, slept in a different place than his car last night. I had very little to do with that, but I was slightly involved. It was neat to see a very diverse and interesting group of people (some surprising) come together to fix this situation.

Another lady presented herself tearfully to our wonderful food pantry workers. A group surrounded her with compassion and love. She needed help. Mostly she needed some loving support. We were able to provide a little. Hopefully she will take the offer for lots more.

Last night I went to run with some of my friends. Let's see, who was there? Jim, Bill, Tim, Tim, Wendy, Kathy, Robin, Ryan, Dan, and young Rowan. (I hope I didn't forget anyone.) It's a family of some kind. It's so much easier to run into a cold, biting wind, when you are with others.

Today it all starts again, and I am thankful for that. One of my favorite things of the day is waking up. No kidding! I like to wake up. I wake up pretty alert. I make my way to the kitchen where my coffee is waiting for me. There is something about holding that hot cup of Honduran coffee each morning that gives me a great deal of joy.

This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments: