Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday a.m.

Hey good morning on this rainy Monday! I like the rain, so I'm good. The cold air that is arriving shortly won't be enjoyed as much by me, but it's that time of the year. It's all OK. I am going to run in Bedford this evening. The power of the group will keep me on track. I'm sitting on 1288.24 miles for the year. It's tempting to go for 1500, but I think it is probably not wise. I'll just keep running and see how it goes. It's going to be a decent year, especially when I have more than 2200 miles on the bike.

We had a nice run Saturday morning, and we had a good conversation about some the plans for next year. It looks like the tri in Terre Haute in May is going to be my main focus for a little while. Then I will next look at the half Ironman in Muncie in early July, like the day before I go to Honduras, which would be great timing. The key is going to be success in the pool this winter.

Saturday was busy, busy! The ReGen Store moved into our gym for the day. We sold north of 2700 dollars worth of stuff. While that was being sold, our Honduras team was busy selling food. We ended with a few hundred dollars also. We sold out of Holy Smokes Barbecue. It was good day. I was nearly exhausted at the end of it, but it was a good feeling. Yesterday was also exhausting, but Sunday's usually are for me. Yes, I know, I only work one day a week. So funny.

I'm reading the through the Bible this year, and I am in the home stretch now. Familiar territory! To keep things fresh, I am reading The Message, a paraphrase by a great theologian/thinker, Eugene Peterson. This morning I was reading in 1 Corinthians 4 and found the following. It struck me, and I'll tell you why, after you read it.

Don’t imagine us leaders to be something we aren’t. We are servants of Christ, not his masters. We are guides into God’s most sublime secrets, not security guards posted to protect them. The requirements for a good guide are reliability and accurate knowledge. It matters very little to me what you think of me, even less where I rank in popular opinion. I don’t even rank myself. Comparisons in these matters are pointless. I’m not aware of anything that would disqualify me from being a good guide for you, but that doesn’t mean much. The Master makes that judgment.

There are lots of reasons why this resonates with me, but recently someone told me that they had a concept of people who do what I do as being really different and unlike other, "normal" people. She grew up Catholic. She meant it as a compliment, and I took it that way, when she said something like this, "I can see that you are just a normal person." Indeed. Frustratingly so (ha ha). I think I do have "reliable and accurate knowledge" most of the time. I find it hard, like everyone else, to practice fully what I know.

OK, enough for today! Got lots to do. Thanks for dropping by.



No comments: