Monday, November 05, 2012

Monday a.m.

Lester finishing the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
Hey, good morning! Monday. Again. They just keep coming don't they? I hope you had a good weekend. I had a Monumental weekend. I'll spare you a lot of details, since it was a fairly uneventful marathon for me. I was simply doing it, and really had no major goals beyond finishing, not walking any of it, and feeling decent throughout the whole thing. All those goals were accomplished.

I'm really proud of Lester. Monumental was his second marathon, and he cruised into finish at 3:20:39. He was pleased and should be. He is now in a position to add a few more miles, introduce more intentional speed work, and go for a sub 3 hour run. I'm confident he can do that, although it will not be easy.

If you read this blog on a regular basis, then you know that I was not very excited about running this marathon. In fact, I will confess that I was dreading it. I wasn't trying to qualify for Boston, so I didn't really have any "big thing" I was trying to do. It's really all a part of my goal to do an Ironman, which is 2 years from last Saturday. I simply want to stay in touch with the marathon distance.

I was satisfied with what I did on Saturday. I view it more as a long training run. I felt better at the end of this marathon than any of the others I've run. If want to see the details, then you can go here. You'll see that I ran pretty consistently through 20 miles. Then I had to take a rare, for me, "over hydrated" break, which made mile 21 slow. After that, I lost touch with the pace group I was running with, and you can see what happened.

I just kinda cruised, drifted on in to finish. I was tired and avoided any cramping by taking it easy. I finished upright and required no medical attention. I felt really good actually, not like a usually do after an endurance event.

Following the run, Lester and Maddie and Kedra and I went to PF Chang's in the Circle Center mall to reload. It tasted so good. Their Mongolian Beef is amazing. We made our way home after that, and I enjoyed the extra hour of sleep.

This weekend was enhanced by Rebecca calling and talking to Kedra. Unfortunately I was not around when she called. She is doing well and will be home in 5 weeks from tomorrow. That's hard to believe but very exciting. Luke topped off the weekend by calling last night. He is doing really well. He loves his job, and they are treating him very well. He also told us that he is leading an engineering team back to Guatemala in the spring to look at building another bridge.

This week woke me in the middle of the night. I'm pushing myself to the red line again. It's temporary stuff, so I just have to hang on for a couple of weeks. I better get after it.

No comments: