Thursday, July 26, 2012

Still Alive

SAG Nag ride
Good morning! Where have I been all week? Mostly at Bible Camp. Kedra is cooking and my kids are counseling, so that's where I want to be. Plus I've been out there smoking, out behind the buildings where the kids can't see me very well. The rumors have started. "I heard that preacher from Mitchell was out behind the buildings smoking. Somebody said he smokes all day long." All true, and the end result is pulled pork, ribs, and chicken.

It has been really great weather for smoking. All you have to do is light a couple of matches to make smoke. The weather supplies most of the needed heat. A properly and carefully directed box fan, along with lots of icy drinks, make it bearable and even enjoyable. Yesterday a couple of buddies brought their smokers out. We had a nice day together.

Ten days in Alabama, a couple days at home, ten days in Honduras, a couple days at home, a bike ride across Indiana, and a few days of Camp and what do you get? A man ready for a routine. It's coming soon. This week has given me a few opportunities to begin digging around and out, so I'm getting ready.

My endurance training is about to shift also. Less time on the bike; more time on the road. I rode 30 miles Tuesday night and felt really good, in spite of the nearly 100 degree temps. My friend Frank doesn't paceline, so I just rode easy with him, which was probably good, although I would have liked to had a piece of that tailwind. After the ride, some of us ran in the Park, just as the dark and the storms were approaching. Just as we finished it started raining. We watched it monsoon at Wendy's.

While in Honduras, I was able to get up early and run most mornings. I got 30 something miles in at altitude, all before breakfast each day, including a 10 miler. There are some big hills there. They call them mountains. It was a good jump-start to ramping up running miles. I was concerned about having no cycle seat time going into RAIN, but it worked out.

Today I am going to get a little run in, here in a few minutes. Then I need to work on my Sunday stuff. I will put that down mid-morning and go to Louisville with Pat A. When I get back, I will stop at Camp for a while. Then later this evening I think there is a swim opportunity.

No comments: