Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wednesday

So I'm trying to figure out a fresh way to start this blog post. I'm getting tired of the way I start it, so you must be too. Of course that is an assumption, and we all know about those things. But anyway... let's Google "Quotes about Wednesday." OK. Here's what I found:

Today is Winsday try to take no loses! Find the winner circle and claim your prize! Winner!

I'm not making this up, AND I don't know what it means for sure. All I know is that I feel a lot better about everything. Don't you? How can you not?

And let me go ahead and apologize for the picture. I need some new material, some new photos, but for now the old stuff will have to do. Of course the picture is somewhat relevant, since last night was Paceline Tuesday. It was a great night to ride, and things went pretty well. More about that in a paragraph or two.

Yesterday I went to a meeting at Burris school for the summer meals program. I took Alex with me, and we learned how to be sensitive and not discriminate against certain things. We also saw posters about how not to bully. My friend Darrin was there, and he noted that this was quite a contrast with some institutions of old that had this motto:

You get what you get and you are glad to get it.

I think they used waterboarding also, but I'm not sure about that part. Life used to be simpler, seems to me. Oh well. After the meeting, I took Alex with me on some errands around the county. We had a good time. Then it was to the Store. Then to lunch with a young man. Then to lunch with my wife. Then to the food pantry. Then to the next thing, followed by the next.

Finally it was time for Paceline Tuesday. We had a big group last night. We had 13 riders all rolling down 337 for a little while. There were 10 of us who were going to paceline, so we broke into 2 groups, mostly based on ability and experience. I went in the "less" column for both categories. Both groups had a good run. We ended up with a 21.7 mph average for the 10 miles, and the other group averaged a little north of 24 mph. It was fun. We did have a little episode at the end. I will let Bill tell you about it:

The real excitement came moments later. A car screeched to a halt beside Miller, pretty much forcing him off the road. I was 100 yards away, turning around, watching it unfold. This guy was going aggressive, so I was hurrying back. About that time, Miller got on his back, took one more disgusted look over his shoulder, and started to ride away. The guy jumped out of his car and began to chase Miller.

By this time I was close, maybe 20 yards. "Knock it off!" I yelled as I moved quickly toward him. He might have been drunk or high, but obviously he could still count. He had the one he was chasing at 12 o'clock, a biker chasing him at 3 o'clock, and 10 more coming at him at 12 o'clock. He darted back to his car, got in, and peeled out. Sure, he cursed something unintelligible as a parting gift, but no one got hurt.


The Rumble in Orleans was averted.

OK, on to another exciting day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tonight's episode of "AS THE Wheel Spins" certainly did not lack for excitement as there were many "forks" in the road.

THG

Anonymous said...

That Mitchell Biker Gang are a bung of hoodlums! and BTW I was waterboarded by my Principal all the time in elementary school and I survived... ;-)

PA