Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday a.m.

Good morning! I hope you are doing well on this nice spring morning. It's going to be a little warmer today. I'm still rooting for some 70s. I think I may have to wait another day. The picture on the left is from Boston and is of a bike repair station. Gregg pointed this out to me while we were walking. It has all the basic tools that you need to do "field" repairs, including a pump. Boston seemed to be a pretty bike friendly city -- lots of bike lanes.

My day changed pretty dramatically yesterday morning. I got a call from Bill, the transportation director, saying that the junior high golf team needed a bus driver to go to Washington right after school. "Can you do it?"

Of course I had an evening mapped out in my mind and it didn't include driving a bus. I looked at everything and made a quick decision. "Yes, I'll do it." I was thinking, "I can eat supper in Washington and get back home in time to get to the BNL pool at 8." I also needed to meet with a minister friend, Christopher, who lives in Washington. Seemed like a pretty good idea, the more I thought about it.

I contacted Christopher. He would pick me up at the golf course in Washington, and we could grab a bite to eat and meet. That part worked out really well. We had a great meeting and I was back at the bus by 6 p.m. How long does junior golf last? I posed this question to Brian, an old friend and the coach. "Too long," he said. Brian was right. Long story short: I got home at 9:45! After the golf match (or is it meet?), we stopped at Taco Bell, which was fun. I got to visit with several parents.

Junior high boys + overeating at Taco Bell + a big bus with them in the very back and me in the very front = a good thing. I hated missing my pool time, but the trip will help fund some things related to endurance athletics. Remember, I bought a carbon fiber bike, thanks to driving a bus all fall!

Yesterday was a good productive day -- got lots done. I didn't run, which was my plan. I am running this evening in Bedford. I may do a short bike ride before that. I will see how I get along with everything and everyone today. I am hoping to go on a longer ride on Friday, maybe 50+ miles?

OK, let's go do this day!

No comments: