Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tuesday a.m.

Here we go, Tuesday! My mind is starting to turn eastward, toward Boston. I woke up this morning thinking about nutrition and carbo-loading logistics. What? Well, I usually run marathons that are close to where I can get home cooked meals right up to race time. Going to Boston on Friday means that I have several meals to figure out. We are staying in, basically, an apartment with a kitchen, so I will be able to cook some. I will tell you more about our accommodations and how they came to be later in the week.

The other big factor, besides nutrition, is the weather. I can control, to some degree, the nutritional piece, but the weather I have not mastered control over that. I tried saying, "Peace, be still!" once and a lightening bolt struck nearby, so I kinda let that idea go. The forecast that I see looks good: 50s. Jim S. came up with one that shows 80s, so who knows?  If it's in the 80s, then it could get really interesting (and slow). Medical tent anyone?

Tapering for a marathon is not much fun. You feel fat and slow. No kidding. Last night's run was not good, which is probably a good sign. Tonight we run another 5 miles with some strides thrown in. That should feel better. After tonight it's down to a couple more short easy runs.

The protest yesterday morning was peaceful. It made the front page of the Bedford paper. I was there for over an hour, mostly standing in the background. I was there primarily to support Missy, the grieving mother. A few of us went into the Superior II courtroom for the proceeding. I really felt sorry for Missy as they went through the plea, which included a description of her son's death. The courtroom was lined with police officers, but everyone remained calm. There was a lot of emotion in the room.

I made progress in the pool last night, so my confidence is growing there somewhat. After Boston I will get more focused on swimming and biking. I may look for a sprint triathlon some time in June. I can envision surviving one without drowning now. ha ha. 

Today I go back to court to support another person. I am becoming fairly familiar with all this court stuff. Thankfully it has been as an observer and supporter.





No comments: