Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wednesday



Good morning Wednesday! How are you? Luke is 22 years old today! I remember his birth very well. In fact, when we went to the hospital the night before he was born, it was close to 80 degrees. He decided to wait all night before he made his entrance, like at 8:30 in the morning. Then, if I remember right, it got really cold. He has been such a blessing to us and is at a neat place in life. He is getting ready to graduate in May.

The other picture is of one my favorite things I've brought home from Honduras on my 6 trips there. When we went to Santa Rosa de Copan, I kept seeing bottles of something at roadside stands. I asked Marc what they were. "Honey." I said, "Stop calling me honey, you weirdo!" He said, "No, those are bottles of honey, like from bees." "Oh, OK then." On the way back to Tegucigalpa, we stopped at one of the stands and made the purchase. It is the best honey I've ever had! I got about a quart, and it cost me about $5!

Yesterday was a good day! I enjoyed studying for a long time the intertestamental period. It's during this time that the synagogue develops, which has a huge influence on the way churches worship today. Also during this time some of the famous players in the New Testament develop, for example, the Pharisees and Sadducees. As I bumped into Alexander the Great yesterday, I so much wanted to spend time with him, but I had to keep moving. He changed the world in so many ways, and we still live under his influence today in some ways. When he was 14, he began studying with Aristotle.

When I visited Turkey and the sites of the 7 churches of Asia Minor, I ran into a lot of Greek influence. You could see buildings that were built by the Greeks, and then when the Romans came along, they would build on top of those structures. Fascinating stuff, at least to me.

Last night we shortened the tempo run to 2 miles, due to the heat. We're not acclimated to it yet and need to keep our long term goals in mind and not do anything too foolish. (I threw that in there, because some of you think all of it is foolishness! ha ha) Anyway, I was pleased with my workout last night. I ran a total of 10 miles and ran the 2 tempo miles at a 6:45 pace. I think from now to Boston I will do only the longer steady state runs, e.g., runs once a week at a 7:45ish pace that cover from 6-10 miles. Boston is only 4 weeks from Monday!

Today is going to be a busy one! I have 3 meetings this morning and tons of people to see the rest of the day, followed by a meal and class tonight. It should be a good day, even though really long.


No comments: