Thursday, February 09, 2012

Thursday

This is probably the only kind of riding that I could/will do this week! It would be all that I feel like doing anyway. I'm trying to contain and fight off a cold, which is more of an annoyance than anything. The fact that we can't cure the common cold ought to do something to dampen the arrogance of humanity.

I paced myself along yesterday, spending a lot more time at my desk than usual. Since I have a cold, I didn't want to go to the nursing home, which is what I usually do on Wednesdays. I did go for an easy 4 mile run, pretty early. I felt decent on the run, but then things went south the rest of the day. I slept well last night, so I'm hoping to get it out of my body in the next couple of days. I hope I can run a few miles today. I think running, even though it doesn't feel good at the time, helps cook the cold a little.

Today is sermon prep day. The focus is on Exodus through Deuteronomy, which is a huge amount of material. I'm going to settle on the Passover as the center of the conversation. The Passover looks backward to see the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob--the great I Am--delivering his people from oppression and it looks forward to the Promised Land and it provides perspective for the present. Hmmm, sounds a lot like the Lord's Supper.

Lately I've had lots of props on stage. If things go well, then on Sunday I will kick it up to a new level. Can you say live animal? Don't tell anyone, OK? I'm not totally sure it's going to happen, but I think it will. Hopefully it won't be too baaaa aaad.

Tomorrow sometime we are heading to Tennessee to see Luke and Rebecca. I can't wait to see them! Lester and Maddie are going with us, so it will be a nice little gathering in the Music City. On Saturday, Lester and I will run the Frostbite Half Marathon in the Cedars of Lebanon State Park. I've run this hilly course a couple of times and really like it.

I hope I feel well enough to go the pool tonight!

2 comments:

Jason Petty said...

Good luck with the half marathon! If it's cold just remind yourself that your grandparents walked that far to school, uphill, in the snow, barefoot everyday! We're soft nowadays.

Speaking from experience, props with movings parts or beating hearts often invoke Murphy's law. But it sure can be funny if you play your cards right! :)

Allen said...

Thanks, Jason!

Hopefully we'll have video cameras rolling... Could be a money maker if something goes wrong.