Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday

Holy Moly Batman! The Boston Marathon is 8 weeks from today. Eight weeks from right now I hope to be eating breakfast in Boston getting ready to head to finish line to be bussed out to the start line to begin the completion of a dream. The picture on the left is of an aid station at the top of Heartbreak Hill. I hope to cruise over the top of that bad boy and run strong the to the finish.

I had a good 20 miler on Saturday morning. I started at 7 a.m., and John H was there to run the first hour with me. It was nice to have the company. We came back to Parkview and joined with a dozen other runners; several of them were doing 14 miles. We took off on a nearly perfect morning for distance running: upper 30s, light to no wind, and sun. I really felt pretty good the whole time, and actually cranked out my last mile down in the 7s, which was a nice confidence builder. I actually ended up with 20.7 miles, which made me 51 for the week. Now, I usually like nice round numbers, but I will make exceptions if the numbers are bigger than my goal. ha ha. Yes, I know I'm weird.

Saturday evening Kedra and I did the old couple Valentine's Day celebration. You know you are old and comfortable with each other when: 1) you move the celebration off the actual day, and 2) after you eat you go to Sam's Club to get stuff. We are party animals, I tell you!

Yesterday was a nice enjoyable day. Church and Life Group went well, and I had a nice nap along the way. I took my nap during the afternoon, not during the sermon, unlike some. Hey, there was no lamb making noise yesterday, so sleep came a little easier for some of the saints. I had a nice surprise after church. A business man from the community came by and gave me a gift for our trip to Honduras. That will buy some food for some hungry people. Thanks!

Today is another one of those holidays that is not recognized very well. People all across the country will go to their mailboxes and say, "Hmmm, we didn't get any mail today." Kedra and Ben are home today. No school! I will spend the day doing various things, getting ready to go to Honduras on Wednesday at 3 a.m.

I think I'll run 7 miles today. I want to be ready to bust a good tempo run tomorrow night, so I want to be careful today, especially after 20 on Saturday. The rest of my week will be top secret training at altitude in the mountains of Honduras. I really would have to kill you if I told you, so don't ask.

Tonight is going to be a breakthrough night for my pursuit of the Ironman! Yes, I am a master of the overstatement. Really though, I think tonight could be the night I make some really good progress in the swimming pool. Some things are starting to "click" in my mind about what I'm doing, plus I've been reading some things that really helped.

OK, off to it!

No comments: