Friday, February 03, 2012

Friday!

Good morning! It's Friday! Do you remember the TV show Flipper? I've always been able to do a pretty good imitation of flipper. Really! I use my hand, making it "dance" backwards, and make that noise old Flipper used to make when he "talked" to Bud and Sandy (I think that was their names?), kinda dancing in the water backwards. Now, I am working on swimming like Flipper. "Channel your inner Flipper. Flipper. Flipper. They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning."

How's that working out for me? Well, so far I have not drowned! I did make it all way across the pool and back twice last night, with a kick board and flippers. I am making progress, and Rand Hammel is a patient instructor. My determination is very strong and getting stronger, which means that, at times, my frustration level rises as well. Frustration is a key part of learning, so that's a good thing. I have to couple it with patience as well.

I had a great hill repeat run yesterday. I wore my heart monitor for the first time in a long, long time and was pleased with what I saw. I reach maximum heart rate, but it goes back down very quickly. I did more repeats yesterday and included a sharp downhill repeat, which is highly recommended for the Boston Marathon course. There are lots and lots of hills, and experienced folks say those downhills destroy your quads. Downhill repeats are the best prep for avoiding that problem.

Yesterday was a busy day but a good day. It did leave me unprepared for Sunday, so this morning I need to finish my sermon, get my slides together,  prepare for my class, prepare next week's Text Experience Sheet, and prepare a Life Group Discussion Guide, along with a few other things. I am hoping for a quiet morning of clarity and focus.

My goal is to have everything done by Noon. Then I will take the rest of the day off. My plan is to meet Kedra for lunch, which is one of my favorite things to do. Then I hope to go on a 20 mile bike ride. The weather looks good for that. The weather is not looking so good for my 20 miler in the morning. I don't have to do 20 just yet, but I want to. We'll see how all that plays out.

OK, time to get going!

No comments: