Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Wedensday a.m.

 Good morning! How are you? It's Pearl Harbor Day, December 7th. There are 17 days until Christmas. Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the future.

Yesterday was another good day, full of expected and unexpected people and things. I had to remind myself of the deeply embedded Nouwen words, "I used to complain about interruptions to my work until I realized the interruptions are my work." I had lots of interesting conversations yesterday. If I told you about them, then I would have to kill you. Not really. But you would probably find most of them not that interesting.

The best part of the day was the brief visit by Lester and Maddie, as we shared a meal together. Lester got his truck back from the mechanic, so he has to be happy. There is a thing about a man and his truck. I prefer to drive my old beater with 240,000 plus miles over anything else in our fleet.

Why the preaching pictures? Well, that started with an email that was sent very early this morning by a 19 year old who no longer lives here. More about that in a minute. I have to confess I really struggle with preaching at times, especially with my preaching. It's so hard to tell if it does anything. There are all the requisite jokes about it being boring, too long, etc. I always laugh along, but don't really find them funny, to be honest. Then there are others, from time to time, who say kind and encouraging things. Those words are like honey.

Most preachers, I think, always wonder about the effectiveness of what they do. I think that's probably a good thing, but sometimes it can lead to discouragement. I have to remind myself on a regular basis that my job is to present Scripture and to make sense of it, patterned after Nehemiah 8:8.

They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read.

I remind myself further of what God says in Isaiah 55:11.

. . .my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty,but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Yes, I am very aware that my words are not God's, but if I am doing my job, then, in a sense, they are (right?), and if that's the case, then my preaching is not in vain (even though if often feels that way). I suppose that's why I am very careful with the text, and it's why I don't tell a lot of stories and then find a text to go with them. I start with the text and try to stay with it. It may not be the most entertaining way to go, but I believe it's faithful.

OK, having said all that, this morning I get this (and I really, really hesitate to put this here, fearing you will think I am being boastful):

Hello Allen...I'm not sure if you remember me but my name is .... My mother is ... we used to go to your church years ago...I recently had a really bad accident and broke my neck playing football. Since then I realized how wrong I was living and how blessed I am to be here today after everything that's happened to me. I was talking to my mother a while back and she told me I should talk to you...And truth is I wouldn't even be doing it if I had any one else to talk to but right now I just feel like I have no one. I've been thinking very hard about going back to church and learning more about the word of God and when I thought about it I don't think I've ever seen anyone deliver such a message in their teaching as you did. I want to thank you for being such a wonderful person. You helped my Mother a lot when I was younger and at the time I was too young to see how. I plan on coming back to Mitchell one of these days, and coming back to the community I feel like I belong in. I'd love to hear back from you I'm having a very hard time dealing with a lot of things in my life right now and I need Him more than anything. Thanks Allen. By the way I'm 19 now. And me and my Mother both really miss living and Mitchell and being in a community like yours.

 Here's my point: God's word does not come back empty. Further: this is not about me, it's about God and his message. Again, I feel strange sharing this with you, but I feel led to. And yes, I will be contacting the boy. Who knew he was paying any attention at all? He was just a kid when he lived here before, a troubled kid. Wow. You never know who is paying attention and to what they are paying attention. Live well.

OK, time to head for the hills to run...

2 comments:

Jason Petty said...

I had lunch with Steve Gilstrap Tuesday. We discussed the ministries that exist in and around Mitchell. I internally thanked God for the church there and for you. You're a willing servant. If we all listened for God in the same way, the church would reflect Christ to the world so much more. God be praised!

Allen said...

Jason, thank you for those kind, encouraging words! I'm so glad you are going to Honduras. You will be a blessing to the folks there, as you are to people here. Thank you!