Thursday, December 15, 2011

Thursday a.m.

Good morning! I hope you woke up well and your day is going well! I had a few minor computer problems this morning that has delayed me by about 20 minutes. That's ironic since my sermon theme this week is "waiting." I got it going in time to do the essentials (not really essential but feel that way) before taking Ben into football conditioning at 6.05. By the way, he told me last night that has gained a few pounds already. Good for him!

Yesterday I had a Mitchell Area Ministerial Association meeting, you know, MAMA meeting. I will spare you my usual jokes about the name... Anyway it went long, as usual. I know this is so surprising -- a room full of preachers and the meeting goes long?? Whoda thunk it? Anyway during the meeting, one of my oft repeated lines came up, "I used to complain about interruptions to my work until I realized the interruptions are my work."

I left the meeting to do good. Went to the Store for a while, met a friend to give him some things, helped unload of truck load of food, signed a letter for our coat giveaway follow-up, talked on the phone, and went back to the Store. I hadn't been there very long when my phone rang. The incoming call said, "Mitchell Police." Hmmm - the police calling me...

The person calling identified herself by name and said that she was with the police department. Then she asked if I knew a man named Roger. Of course she was referring to my deaf neighbor. She went on to tell me that he had an episode in Arbys and needed me to come and help him. "I'll be right there." [Gotta love small towns where everyone knows your name.]

I arrived to find a community of first responders gathered. Roger was sitting in his truck's passenger side, all slumped over. The ambulance people told me that he had fallen and hit his head but was refusing medical care. They did take his blood pressure and it was "sky high."  I opened the door of Roger's truck. He looked at me and said, "I want to go home."

One of guys who was there, Greg, said he would drive Roger home, if I could bring him (Greg) back to town. No problem. We got Roger in the house and on the couch. I took Greg to town and then came back to Roger's. I tried and tried to talk (by writing) him into letting me take him to the ER. He was having nothing of it. I wrote him that his blood pressure was "sky high" and that he could have a stroke and die. He just smiled and did a no-big-deal wave of his hand. OK, Roger. With that I left.

I stayed close by and went back to check on him. I really thought I might find him dead, and I actually thought I had when I walked in. His eyes were half open and he was not moving. I could not discern any breathing movements and could not see a pulse in his neck. I was about to touch him, when all of a sudden he moved! Startled? Yes. Both of us. ha ha

Anyway, he said he was fine. I checked on him later and again this morning. Still fine. I offered to take him to eat and get some meds. He's thinking about it. Stubborn old man! He told me he could drive. Watch out for a black Ford truck! ha ha.

1 comment:

Jason Petty said...

He's lucky you didn't have a reflex reaction and punch him in the face when he suddenly moved! Actually, you might be lucky too, because you probably would have killed him with your Chuck Norris moves, and then you'd be charged with murder.

Glad you were able to help him!