Friday, December 02, 2011

Friday!

Here's what my son, Luke, says about this photo:

Despite individually stating all 10 letters of my name, the worker (of Oriental descent) managed to get one letter wrong.

I will say one thing and then leave it. I don't mean this as a racist thing. I love all people, but sometimes you just gotta laugh, especially at yourself.

So how's it going? Yesterday was another one of those non-stop days. Got up early and got on my sermon prep, then I went for a nice run with Tim the Elder and Time the Strunk (not to be confused with Tim the Younger and Tim the Elite, although I could make a case that the Elder is also Elite. I mean he won his age group at Monumental!), then arrived at my lunch meeting with the ethics committee. Let me say this: the hospital food at St. Vincent Dunn is good! At least what I've had each month has been.

After the ethics meeting, I chatted with the chaplain for a while about his work and about his adventures. His name is Wally, and he is getting ready to leave for a few weeks to climb Mount Aconcagua in Argentina. It has an elevation of 22,841 feet and is the highest mountain outside of the Himalayas. He has climbed several of the world's highest mountains. If I were younger, one of my goals would be to climb Mount Everest. I made that decision after watching a series about it on the Discovery Channel a couple of years ago. Wally has the same dream, and he has already climbed to Everest base camp.

After the ethics meeting, I made my way to Heaven's Garden, a little cafe at the Lighthouse Christian bookstore. It's a great place to work: free WiFi and all the stuff you would expect at a cafe. I met Pat there and we work on our sermons for Sunday. Working with another person really helps me to stay focused on the task at hand. It was very enjoyable time well spent.

Then it was off to the Family Life Center to check on the set-up for the huge toy sale. The amount of toys we have is unbelievable! Seriously! Penny and crew have done a great job in getting set up. They will work all day today as well. I left the FLC and went to the Store for a little while. While there I got a truck load of coats for the Coat Give Away on Saturday. We have more coats than we can sell at the Store. It's all the Lord's work... Darrin came by and we had a great talk about life.

I got home in time for supper and the nightly battle to stay awake until bedtime! I like to read in the evenings, but I cannot read serious stuff. I finished a book about running last night, Once a Runner. I only dozed off once last night.

OK, here we go today. Finish up Sunday stuff, help with the Toy Sale, lunch with my lovely and beloved wife, and then I am helping out the desperate transportation director by driving a basketball bus to Crawford County. That'll be fine, but it means a late night.

Tomorrow a 12 mile run, followed by Coats and Toys...

No comments: