Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wednesday

Good morning! Wednesday already. Wasn't the snow beautiful? Yes, it was! You snow-haters need to lighten up - ha ha. I got to run in the snow last night, but the problem running in the snow after dark is that you cannot see it as well. It was still fun. We had a group of about 10 last night, and I add that fact just in case you thought I was the only one. This morning's run will be dry - first one this week.

Our huge Toy Sale at the ReGeneration Store is this Saturday. It's nearly unbelievable how many toys we have. We are moving the sale up to our church gym to give us more room. Last year we sold more than $2500 worth of toys on one day. I expect that we will exceed that this year. Going on at the same as the toy sale is our church's annual Coat Give Away. I think we will give a lot more away this year, since the toy sale is going on across the parking lot.

Yesterday I spent some good quality time with old Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist. Interesting guy! You can read about him in Luke 1. He provides an interesting constrast with Mary, and Luke carefully weaves their stories together, which is the story of two babies, John the Baptist and Jesus, both in the wombs of very unlikely women, one old and one young. I wonder when Zechariah and Elizabeth quit praying to have a child?

I went to Mitchell Manor yesterday. I go just about every week. One of the people I see there is Hollace Sherwood. Hollace is getting fairly along in years, well into his 80s. He had a stroke a few years ago and cannot speak, which makes visiting him a little challenging. He's a remarkable man. He was a science teacher for years at Mitchell High School, but the thing that impresses me the most is that he and his wife began "the corn project" (now BHRP) many years ago. You can read about it here. A magazine article and a couple of God-honoring people with good minds and hearts is all it took. Talk about a reflection of Mary and her attitude: available and willing!

While at MM I came across another person. I knew she was supposed to be there, but she got delayed. With all the confidentiality laws, coupled with no children and a very tenuous church connection, I had no idea where she was. Nobody knew anything. Anyway, I was able to find her and see her. She is a sweet old lady who seemingly has so few connections in this community. It was good to see her. I seriously doubt she will have any visitors at all.

OK, off to the hills for a run, followed by a full day of people to see and places to go...

No comments: