Monday, November 28, 2011

26.2

Most people know that the marathon is 26.2 miles long, which is long way to run by the way, especially when you are trying to run fast. The Boston Marathon is now only 20 weeks away, so I am in my last 2 weeks of pre-training, before my official training starts. The difference is the introduction of hill repeats and speed work. I have playing around a little bit with both for the last couple of weeks, so it won't be totally shocking to my system. I will ease into it also, being careful not to get injured.

The 26.2 of this post does not refer to the marathon distance, rather it refers to days. For the next 26.2 days, which takes me into the first 2 hours of Christmas Eve, I am going on a strict diet to get down to the weight I want to be at Boston. I'll see where my body takes it, but I think I will lose 5-7 pounds. The next 26.2 days, and I just add the .2 for fun, will be about disciplined eating and activities. Once it's over, I will loosen up a little but not much.

Here are the key things for me, things that I will avoid for 26.2 days, starting today:
  • 1 small cup of coffee in the morning (avoiding 2 big ones) followed by nothing but water. I hope to drink at least a gallon of water each day.
  • No desserts, no candy - NONE!
  • No salt out of the salt shaker for meals (some on popcorn is OK)
  • No butter on popcorn - this is my weakness and downfall! ha ha (Some have beer bellies, I have a popcorn belly)
  • Reasonable portions at meals, eaten slowly
  • Small high protein snacks between meals
  • There are other, smaller specific things, but I can't think of them right now
  • I will run 30-40 miles per week
I've been doing some core work, but for these 26 days I will establish a habit that will continue. Three times a week I will do 100 Torso Track and 30 sit-ups (50 TT, 30 SU, 50 TT). I will spend at least one hour per week on the bike trainer, hopefully a little more. This is as much about biking as it is running. I plan to do RAIN (yes, all of it - read this if you don't get the joke) next summer.

OK, I've gone public with this, which is my way of making sure I will do it, all of it! Anyone want to join me on this 26.2 challenge. Hey, it ends on the morning of Christmas Eve! What better way to prepare for all the food challenges of Christmas and the days following? And you might just find that some of the food you give up loses some of its appeal...





No comments: