Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Wednesday a.m.

The Mizuno Inspire is my favorite running shoe and has been for 2-3 years. I think I've run through 7 pairs of them. I always buy them discounted, getting the model that has just been replaced. All they do is change the number and color a little, so the old ones are the same as the new ones. I don't ever pay full price for running shoes (or for much of anything actually).  I run about 500 miles in a pair of shoes before switching over. When I am training well that translates into about 3 months.

Good morning Wednesday! Don't you just love these cool mornings, warm days, and perfectly pleasant evenings? To me, it just doesn't get any better than this. I love October.

Last night I went to Bedford to run with some of my friends. Several of us did 10 miles at varying paces. I felt really good and feel like I am getting back in decent running shape. The Monumental Half Marathon is only 3 weeks from Saturday. After my performance at the Persimmon 5K, I have lowered my expectation for a great race. That and I just don't feel that motivated or excited about it. I am really focused on Boston in April. I hope to run sub 140 at Monumental, which is about a 7:35 per mile pace. I think I can do that.

I don't think I will taper much for Monumental. I want to keep the "mile pile" going. I should hit 40 this week. I've already got 16 in 2 days. Add 5 today and 16 on Saturday and a few more on Thursday or Friday. I hope to throw a 30 mile bike ride in also. It's a shame not to ride in this weather. I hope it's true: you never forget how to ride a bike.

Yesterday was a good day. I had breakfast with Roger and got some really good studying done. Then I saw/made contact with several people. It's amazing what all goes on in people's lives. There is so much good and bad--just so much stuff. Everyone needs encouragement. Simple words and notes go a long way toward helping people deal with things.

I don't think I've mentioned this here before, but IU Health at Bedford is going to donate an ambulance for our work in Honduras. Warren Crawford has done tons of work on this, and it looks like it will come to fruition really soon. Once it is released to us, things get exciting! I hope to be part of a group of guys/vehicles that will drive it to Honduras. It should be quite an adventure! I'll share more later.

No comments: