Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tuesday a.m.

I recently read a book, The Invisible Gorilla, that said that multi-tasking is basically a myth and undoable, in the sense that you are doing well at everything you are doing at the same time. Its point was that it is more efficient to do one thing at a time if possible. I think that's right. I can multi-task some things pretty well, but not most things. How about you?

Why did I start with that? Not sure, but I think it has to do how scattered yesterday felt. That's not a complaint, just an observation. I had several things going on at the same time yesterday. I've said before that all the modern ways to communicate have made it harder to communicate. There is no single way to communicate anymore. I miss the days when email was the most popular way of communicating. Now I've been drug into the strange world of texting, which I find is a very good way to communicate with some people. I wish I was a better thumb-typer!

Yesterday I had several very significant text conversations about important issues, while at the same time communicating on Facebook with others, while emailing others, while getting tweets from others, while talking with others. I did not receive any letters in the mail. ha ha. I am in the process of establishing a communication plan for church that involves email, Twitter, and Facebook.

It sure was a damp day yesterday. I don't mind that kind of day. Early yesterday, before the heavy rain, I got a good session of speed work in. I guess I am ready for the Persimmon 5K. Realistically I don't think I will break 20 minutes. My speed work was a reality check. That's OK. I am still going to run hard and see where I end up.

The Boston Marathon registration is open, and I am officially registered. That does not mean that I will be accepted. There are more applicants than there are spots. So I am waiting... All applicants are going to be seeded, which is to my advantage. I beat my qualifying standard significantly, so I am hopeful. If I don't get in, then that's life. I will probably try again to re-qualify. Qualifying was an amazing experience!

Today is going to be a busy day. I need to spend some time studying 1 Peter 2:1-12, see several people, including Pat in Bloomington, and I'm sure there will be lots of texts, emails, Facebook messages, and a few calls. Probably no letters though; just bills.


No comments: