Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday

I had breakfast with Roger for the third day in a row. We've eaten at Arby's the last 2 mornings. Yesterday he had a breakfast platter, and today he had biscuits and gravy (with hot sauce of course). I just had a cup of coffee both days. Social drinking.

Today he was more relaxed. He announced to me, "I ain't in no hurry; I got all day." Then he said, "You got anything to do?" I said, "No." I don't know what I would do if Henri Nouwen's words weren't in my head and in my heart:

Most of my life I complained about interruptions to my ministry until I realized the interruptions were my ministry.

Roger started telling me a little bit about his son. He has no contact with him and hasn't for years. "Dope!" Then, I couldn't quite understand him, he told me about another boy that he has that was a product of his wife's adultery. "Guess who she cheated with?" I gave him the clueless look. He laughed and said, "The milkman!" He went on to tell me details about how the milkman would come back to the house and how the neighbor lady saw it. She told Roger. He told me about confronting his cheating and wife and her lover. Roger wasn't laughing anymore. He seemed to be reliving a painful past.

After Arby's we went back to CVS to pick some prescriptions that we dropped off on the way to Arby's. Then it was on to the gas station for a lottery ticket. We did that yesterday also, plus we got some Marlboro's.

Now it's sermon prep time, plus a whole lot of other stuff. It's all good. Living the Kingdom Life is never dull.

I hope to get a run in some time today. I'm sitting on 18 miles so far this week. Getting 35 is going to be hard, because I helping out the Junior High football team Saturday morning by driving a bus to Perry Central. This will be after a late night Friday driving the high school football team to Crawford County.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who were the marlboro's for?


P arthur

Allen said...

[cough, cough, cough] I've always wanted to wear a cowboy hat and a rugged looking jacket and ride a horse. (Actually, I can do without the horse part.)

Image is everything...