Monday, September 19, 2011

Good Weekend

How are you? I hope you had a good weekend. I did. The best part was having Rebecca home, as well as Lester and Maddie for a little while.

I took Friday off (mostly). It has been a while since I took a day totally off. I find it hard to do that anymore, but I think I need to do it. I end up taking a little time here and there, but that's not the same. Sabbath rest is a big deal to God. I need to work on it.

Anyway! I took Friday (mostly off) and started the day with a 12 mile run on the hills of Spice Valley. It was a nice morning and a good run. After that I helped my dad for a little while with fire wood. Then, and this explains the "mostly" above, I helped a family bury a loved one. I get these calls once in a great while. Someone who grew up here died and wanted to be buried here, so I went to the cemetery, met the family, read a passage, said a prayer and left.

After that it was back to working in fire wood, which I enjoy. I had to stop that in order to drive a football team bus to Crawford County. Kedra followed the bus down and picked me up as soon as I turned the bus off. Why? Because Rebecca was coming home from Nashville, and we had arranged to meet her at exit 92 (Carefree) on I 64, which was only 7-8 minutes from CC high school. There was a nice little restaurant there, which was really good by the way.

It's hard to explain what I felt when my little girl pulled in the parking lot! It had been nearly 5 weeks since we last saw her. It was so nice to give her a hug and a kiss on her forehead. We had a great meal together, before heading back to the football game. The game was ugly but we won. When I got back home, Lester and Maddie were at our house, so we had a nice time. Only Luke was missing.

The next morning I had to drive a bus to Perry Central -- something I had agreed to some time ago to help out the transportation director. It was a long trip and a fairly long day. While at Perry, I ran 5 miles on the hills. I got back home around 4. We had a nice meal together before Lester and Maddie had to return home. They had church responsibilities in Indy.

Saturday was so beautiful! Yesterday was a little on the cloudy, damp side, but that's OK. Good napping weather, and I took one after church, while watching the Colts. This would not have happened if Manning were playing - ha ha. The Vesper Service last night was good. Anthony Thompson, the great IU running back from the 80s, spoke. He did a nice job. Here are some quotes from him that I tweeted:

"My ladder was leaning against the wrong building," talking about his past trust in pleasure.

In parenting we don't need a wishbone, we need a backbone. If your child asks, "Are we going to church today?" You got a problem!

I grew up in a home the city condemned. We had no running water. But I had a praying mother.

No comments: