Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wednesday a.m.

Good morning! This picture is of a mommy dolphin and her pup. Rebecca and I went on a dolphin watching trip (one of the few things we did). It was neat. We actually saw several dolphins from our balcony and from the beach. They would come in pretty close to the shore.

I guess we all survived the heat wave. It was nice to see the clouds and cooling breezes from the storms roll in last night. It would have been better if I had not been out on my bike! It wasn't that bad actually. I went to the Park at 5.30 to meet some other riders. As I started getting ready I came to a disappointing (dumb) realization: I left my front bike wheel at home. I take it off to mount my bike in the back of my truck, and I forgot to pick it up.

After a brief discussion I told the others that I would meet them in Orleans. Kedra was coming to town, so I got a hold of her just in time for her to bring the missing wheel to the church building. The newly re-united wheel and I headed to Orleans as ominous clouds darkened the southern sky. I had been watching the radar and knew that there was a lot of activity just south of Paoli, but it looked like it was staying there.

Parking at the REMC in Orleans, I unloaded my bike and got ready. I took off to meet my friends coming from the Park. Perfect timing - they were just north of the railroad tracks. After a little tour of Orleans, we headed southeast on 337. The sky was growing more ominous and I was growing more concerned. I only wanted a short ride, and the other guys were a lot faster than me. I decided I would hang on for a while and then head back.

On a hill outside of Bromer I got dropped as usual. About that time I saw lightning. Time to turn around. At this point I was wondering if I would make it back to the truck without getting wet. I made it back - still dry. I loaded up and headed out to check on the other guys. They were pace lining back. I went back to Orleans and they arrived shortly. I followed them back from Orleans, waiting to rescue them, if needed, from the storms. They didn't need it. Right as they went through the gate at the Park, the rain started. Pretty good timing.

I run this morning, and then one more ride before RAIN. Ready or not, here it comes!

Today I am working on my sermon and getting ready for our big party Sunday evening. It's a good combination. I am working on a sermon about comfort. It's an interesting concept/thing. My main text is 2 Cor. 1:3-11. My thesis is that comfort, even from God, is mediated through humans. We need to pay attention to this.

No comments: