Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tuesday morning

Good morning! I slept well again last night. Good sleep is such a blessing. I got back a little while ago from an easy 3 mile run at the Park. I felt good and could have gone a lot further, but I want to be careful. "Duh!" you say.

While running I was re-thinking Saturday. I simply goofed by not taking enough Endurolytes early on. Silly mistake. Even with the bad finish to the day, I really enjoyed the experience - well, at least most of it. I've already been invited back for next year. I can't reveal what I'm thinking because Kedra might read this post.

Before RAIN I asked several of my rider/runner friends which was easier: marathon or RAIN. Most of them said, with some caveats, that RAIN was easier. Of course they are experienced cyclists, which I think makes a big difference. I've only been riding since last May. My cardio fitness from marathoning comes over to help a lot, but cycling is a different sport.

I think the challenge of RAIN is how long you are engaged. Marathons last 3.5 - 4 hours. I was planning on doing RAIN in 12 hours; really hoping to do it in about 11.5 hours,including stops. Even with stops/breaks that's a long time. Proper nutrition/hydration are crucial. I almost had it right!

My focus now turns to running, but I will keep a couple of 30 mile rides per week in the schedule. It's good cross-training. I want to focus on the Persimmon 5K, the Monumental half marathon, maybe the Huntsville marathon, and hopefully Boston (getting registered could be a challenge, even after qualifying).

Yesterday I got a lot of things done for our Honduras trip, which is rapidly approaching. We leave a week from Friday (July 29) and return on August 7th. This will be my 5th trip. I am looking forward to it.

Well, I have lots of stuff I need to continue doing, so I'll catch you later.

No comments: