Sunday, May 22, 2011

Riding Bikes at Crane

Yesterday was Crane Cyclefest. It was a great day, very enjoyable for the most part. I am training for RAIN, and yesterday was a great training ride. I rode the 50 mile course.

Several of us met at the registration area and waited through a rather long opening ceremony. Once that was over we, along with 400+ other riders, made our way to and through the Crane gate. This part of the ride was slow and a little tricky. I had to clip in and out with my shoes a few times. There is always a danger of falling over. I sure didn't want to do that and take a bunch of people down.

At the gate we had to slow down and go through a few at a time. The guards had to record our bib number to make sure we were weren't two wheel terrorists. The guy with the machine gun made us see they were serious. Once through the gate the fun began. I immediately got separated from my friends who are faster than me AND better climbers. The first hill was grueling, and I was slow. Plus I had overinflated my front tire. I had to stop 2-3 times to adjust the pressure. I finally caught everyone at the first rest stop at the 20 mile mark.

We started out again, and it was another huge hill. Again I got separated. Rand H. came back to get me, but I told him/them to go ahead. I was fine. I really was. I rode most of the 50 miles by myself. There were other bikers around, and an occasional conversation took place. I just enjoyed the scenery. I blew through the 29 mile rest stop. I felt fine.

At about 40 miles I climbed this long, cruel hill. IT. TOOK. FOREVER. As I was beginning the descent in areobar position, someone came up the hill and said a biker was down at the bottom of the hill. I made my way down the hill at about 30 mph, watching for the biker down. As I came around a curve I saw all my friends standing there. Oh no! I looked on the ground and it was Rand H sprawled out in the middle of the road.

He had hit the curve at about 40 mph and the force pushed him off the road. He tried to get back on and, as he did, he hit the payment very hard with his shoulder and helmet. He was in the road for about 30 minutes while we waited on the ambulance. They took him to an ER and did all kinds of tests. Amazingly he is OK! He is a tough one.

I finished the ride at the 50 mile mark (really about 53 miles). A few of the guys went on to do the 65 mile course. I thought about it, but I was so tired and the thought of having to climb all those hills again made the decision pretty quick and easy.

Dan D and I rode back together and then enjoyed a wonderful meal while a band, dressed as clowns, performed. They were good and very entertaining. I felt really good about completing 50 very hilly and hard miles. I had never ridden that far. I will now move on to the Metric Century - 62 miles and then keep progressing toward my first 100 mile ride in the next month or so. RAIN is about 160 miles, so I need to spend a lot of time on the seat.

Yesterday was encouraging and fun. Early on I thought I would not make it, but I settled in and just worked through it all. It was a confidence builder.

No comments: