Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Perseverance

Here we go Wednesday! Sounds windy out there, but at least it is blowing in warmth. Looks like some good biking weather is coming, which I need. I am already getting a little nervous about riding across Indiana in mid-July. Gotta get miles in and soon!

Last night I went over to Bedford for Tempo Tuesday but didn't tempo. I just ran 7 miles or so with 2-3 others who also were not tempoing. I just didn't feel like doing speed work last night. I'm in a dangerous spot about motivation and know it, so I am calling on discipline to keep me going. I don't have anything in the category of running that is pushing me right now. I've qualified for Boston, which was the biggest running goal I have ever had. Now I have to wait until September to see if I can make it in the 2012 race; registration is going to be tricky.

So here I am just persevering. I'm happy that I am maintaining 35-40 miles a week. Nothing fast or fancy but I'm leaving myself in a position to improve rapidly when I am ready. The focus, however, is shifting to the bike. Biking across Indiana will be a big challenge, since I've only really biked a little bit last year. I like a challenge...

Perseverance is an interesting thing. You keep going even when you want to quit. I hear the voices of buzzards at times but have learned, for the most part, to ignore them and to keep moving. I think that comes from years of knowing what if feels like to quit. Regret anticipated is not a bad motivator when nothing else works.

Long day ahead but I'm ready. I got enough sleep and feel ready for it to all unfold. I need to spend some time in Mark 14 today. That will be fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

belskisblog.blogspot.com You probably already know this, but John is back blogging.

Allen said...

Yes! I did see that he came back recently, so I subscribe to his blog in Google Reader.

Belskis Blog

I love him and his blog and am so glad he is back.