Monday, September 27, 2010

It has been a busy day; interesting also. I started early with some reading and quiet time, followed by breakfast with the family. They left for school, and I went for a hilly 7 mile run from Spice Valley over past Bryantsville and back. I wore long sleeves and gloves; been a long time since that happened. I took the gloves off after the first mile, but they felt good for a little while.

I came home, read a little more, cleaned up, and headed out for the church building. The food pantry was open and busy. Right as I was leaving to go teach my classes at OCU-B, a woman who was very upset wanted to talk to me. We talked a little while. She was grieving the loss of precious loved ones and was in all kinds of financial difficulties. She’s at the end of her rope. We talked for a while and prayed. I sent her to a place that I think can help her.

Classes were good today. My students were focused and full of questions regarding suffering, injustice, and God’s approach to warfare in the Old Testament. I confessed, “I don’t know,” a lot today. I told them that I have many of the same questions but that I have come to the conclusion/decision that trusting God is the best option. There is no world view that has all the answers. The Story of God is what I believe and choose to live by. It makes sense to me.

Today I spent about an hour talking with a young alcoholic. He battles the stuff and often loses. We talked very openly about it all. He goes to AA, but his accountability partner also struggles. I think he needs to change guys. I told him that I am also going to start asking him every time I see him if he has lapsed. He wants me to. He has had a really rough way to go for quite a while. The tough path takes him back to the bottle.

I made a quick trip to Sam’s this afternoon to buy a lot of meat. I am going to smoke for the football team. Pork shoulders and brisket should do the trick. Tomorrow is the day to smoke while I do a lot of study. It works out pretty well. I have the smoker positioned so I can see the temperature gauge from my office window.

We had a meeting later in the afternoon about our Give Thanks 4 race on Thanksgiving Day. We are have a little trouble getting Mag 7 to update the website and activate online registration. We still have plenty of time but would like to get some things in place really soon.

Time for popcorn, followed by ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No comments: