Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Wednesday a.m.

Have you seen this picture? It's of a sink hole that opened up in Guatemala City. It is 80 feet across and 30 stories deep! It swallowed a 3 story building. That's what 10-20 inches of rain in a short period of time will do. Tropical Storm Agatha has killed more than 150 people in Central America, including people in Honduras.

Here's the latest communication from Luke:

Well after quite a trip we made it. Border control was a breeze, we heard it might be closed but everything went smoothly. The drive here was really worrisome. It looked like we were in the middle of no where, driving down a dark scary alley and then we turned in and the gate keeper had a shotgun like everyone else. We were all real nervous. We walked up the path and ended up in this paradise like place. It is wonderful. It was a big relief. We are right on the beach, I can hear the ocean in the background. Its about 85 and 100% humid. We are waiting on dinner now. I may be able to call in the morning. I think everything should be fine from here on out. I'll keep you updated when I can.

Then a little later he tweeted:

Just had shrimp on the beach in El Salvador. Sweating at nearly 10 pm, listening to the ocean. Home tomorrow!

He won't make it to Indiana until Thursday. We are really looking forward to seeing him!

I rode my bike last night with some of the guys I usually run with. Most of them are triathletes, so the emphasis in the summer is more on biking and swimming, although a lot of running miles are still getting cranked out. Right now the main focus seems to be biking. Three of the guys are doing the full Iron Man in November. I am not in their league, of course, but I enjoy learning from them. Last night I rode 32 miles. The weather made it super pleasant. This morning I plan to do a hilly 6 mile run, if the rain holds off (been looking at the radar).

Honduras happens for our team 4 weeks from tomorrow! I am in charge of adult education/evangelism for the entire team of 160+, which makes me somewhat nervous. I need to develop 6-9 45 minute lessons that can easily be translated into Spanish. I also need to develop accompanying visual aids. I'm thinking of poster-sized diagrams/pictures that I MAY have printed on vinyl sheets. It will all be elementary stuff, but I still have to get it done. I hope to move the project along today.

No comments: