Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Interesting week

I guess that's one way of putting it. I have a wedding Saturday and a funeral Thursday. Interesting. Real life stuff. I have a couple of other interesting things going on also, but if I told you I would have to kill you. I'll have more to say about the funeral in a day or two. It's going to be a hard one. Alan was a special guy to me.

Reading through the Bible again this year. Can I say that some of it is boring? Can I confess that I find some of it troubling? Primarily the violence. I'm in 2 Kings. I'll be glad to hit Psalms and Proverbs, but they are fairly far off. Oh well. It's all about the Grand Narrative, the Big Story. Clearly God is not afraid to be real and transparent in some ways.

Of course in other ways he is so mysterious. We have lots and lots of questions. Faith is the ability (or the gift) to live with the questions for which there are no (good) answers and still trust God. Some days are better than others.

In my reading I did come across a passage that made me chuckle. It's 2 King 9:20, which says:

The lookout reported, “He has reached them, but he isn’t coming back either. The driving is like that of Jehu son of Nimshi—he drives like a madman.”

I can only imagine what wild chariot driving would be like. Lots of one-wheeling, I but. This passage stands behind a word in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Jehu (n.) A fast or reckless driver.

I'm not making this up! Now you have a word that you can use with your friends. "Hey, you Jehu!"

Getting ready to dive into the 1st of the 10 Commandments.

You shall have no other gods before me.

Something tells me that there is an awful lot packed into those few words. A lot of stuff for then and a lot of stuff for now. I'm really looking forward to exploring it.

You have anything you want to say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are one crazy JEHU! I have used that word before...

No other God, the flip side of that coin is... GOD IS GOD!

pat