Monday, April 26, 2010

Finished up my semester of teaching at OCU-B today. Gave the final, totaled the scores, and gave the grades. A few As, Bs, Cs, a D, and for the first time in several years of teaching I gave an F. Poor guy just didn’t do the work. With all that I hang up my “Dr. Burris” cap until the fall. That’s part of who I am; not a large part but still a part. I am a son, brother, nephew, uncle, cousin, husband, father, minister, teacher, counselor, friend, sinner, a runner...

I’ve been thinking a lot about identity since Saturday’s failed Boston qualifying attempt. Why is running Boston so important to me? I believe it’s because I want to be identified, in part, by an accomplishment that only a few achieve. Outside of my running peers and you loyal folks who read this blog, I really don’t talk much about running or about Boston. People don’t really understand or probably really care. That’s fine and very understandable.

The other day I had a conversation with a trusted friend who doesn’t run but understands the desire I have for accomplishments and achievements. I told him I wanted to run Boston and get a shadow box with the memorabilia. He said, “so you can have it on display at your visitation at the funeral home?” I laughed and said, “Exactly!” I said I want that along some other stuff, diplomas, awards, etc., that are inappropriate to display or talk about while you are alive. I said, “I want people to look at all that and say, ‘Wow, he accomplished some pretty interesting things in life.’” Is that pride? Maybe. Maybe it’s the God-given desire to do something special with the live he has given me.

We are all identified in all kinds of ways, but the only that really counts is that I am beloved son of God. That should be sufficient, and in a lot of ways it is. But I also believe that doing things, accomplishing and achieving, are also ways to accept the gifts God has given to us and are a way, when done with humility, to bring glory to Him. I hope that’s my desire. I think it is most days.

So I’m going to keep running. Working. Striving. As a beloved son; not to become one. Life is good, and I am at peace. I love running! I really do. Saturday was a wonderful experience of joy and pain and satisfaction. I gave everything I had. Everything. I finished in pain but I finished. Thanks.

1 comment:

Allen said...

Having trouble sleeping...

Don't know why.

After I finished this post on identity I remembered something Kathy H. told me a while back. Kathy qualified and ran Boston a year ago. I've talked to her a lot and have learned a lot from her.

One day she was telling me about all the cool stuff she got/bought after running Boston, including a jacket. She laughed and said, "I want to be buried in it." She meant it. I understand.