Saturday, March 06, 2010

Runnin' & Smokin'





There's nothing quite like a good smoke after a good run!

Yesterday afternoon I got my smoker out and washed it and the trailer upon which it rides. They both had picked up a lot of mud from being transported from the barn to the house and back during some of the sloppy muddy, snowy times we've had this winter. Yes, I've smoked all winter long. It's a habit you know; quite addictive.

This morning I got up early and met Ryan R. about daylight. We ran 8 miles before the rest of the group showed up for their scheduled 12 miler. That's right, it was another 20 miler in the works. I am happy to say that everything went really well. I'm not sure of the overall pace, but it was good and consistent. It was another confidence builder. Running with a large group is such an enjoyable experience. Ryan had a good run. He's looking strong for his marathon, which is a week after mine.

Now I have a chicken and some beef ribs on the smoker carefully preparing themselves for my enjoyment. I've smoked lots of things, but I've never done beef ribs. I think they will turn out well; hopefully my plan for smoking them will be successful. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Allen said...

Well, the ribs turned out good. They were tender and flavorful but not quite the flavor I expected. I was hoping/thinking they would have the flavor of a rib eye steak, but they tasted more like brisket to me. I enjoyed them and will do them again, probably as a supplement to some other meat. Tonight we had chicken also. The ribs and chicken were a pretty good combo.

Lester ran his 10K today in Indy. He had a good run, finishing in a little over 42 minutes, which is about a 6.48 pace.

It's been a great day! I am tired but satisfied. I am looking forward to seeing everyone at church tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

hey allen:
enjoyed our 8+ miles before we met the group. was nice conversation and company. the miles flew by.
i started the day with a member of the burris clan and ended with one too. when i walked through my kitchen late last night, your lovely daughter, my oldest and 3 other young ladies were making bowls out of old records. they seemed to be having a good time, despite the strange odor.
today, i had 8 teen age ladies to oversee getting to church! whew. those 8 plus my wife made me think i was pretty lucky but also pretty stressed! ha ha
interesting lesson today that led to some intersting debate in small groups tonight.
ran 4.5 afterwards and felt very good. yeah.
RR