Friday, January 08, 2010

Smoking in the Snow

I know it's a little crazy, but some people think I lean that way. I've got the smoker fired up and have four (Boston) butts on it. [Trying not to freeze mine off.] As soon as daylight rolls around I will add the brisket. Then a little later on I will add a few ribs; we'll eat these for a late lunch. I'll also add 5 chickens. Hmmm. All this meat is for tomorrow night's Help for Honduras dinner.

The snow has been so beautiful! You know I love snow. I went for a nice 5 mile run yesterday morning when it was snowing the hardest. It was great!

This has been a busy week in some ways. It's also been different. I had a funeral, and I started my OCU-B class, all on the same day. I am teaching Introduction to Church History, which I find challenging, due to the vast amount of material to choose from and to talk about. One of the main components of the class is for each student to trace a ontemporary church back to its origin and to compare its teaching to the New Testament teaching. They also get to interview a leader in the church to find out what role history plays in their church. Should be interesting.

Still losing a little weight and running pretty well. My mind is firmly fixed on the Kentucky Derby Marathon on April 24. Going to try to get a 10 miler in in the morning. Could be cold.

Did you watch the football game last night? Seems like Texas might have won if Colt McCoy had not gone out on the very first series of the game? I like Colt. He's a good Church of Christ boy from a small town in Texas.

1 comment:

Allen said...

Well, smoking in single and barely double digits has been interesting to say the least. Challenging might be a better word. I figured out about 5 hours into the process that my temperature gauges are a little skewed, so I've been smoking a little hotter than I thought. My biggest concern about that is the brisket. It is pretty picky about its temp. We'll just have to wait and see. I apologized to it and asked for forgivness.